Conflict Type

 This last week I discovered what my predominant conflict style is. I am primarily competitive, meaning I normally look to see what would benefit me most in a situation and work towards a resolution based on that. I would say that is usually accurate, as I typically have my own interests in mind first. However, there were two other conflict styles that were right behind competition, those being collaboration and accommodation. I would say this is true too, because I often find myself thinking of others during conflict as well and trying to make sure everyone wins if possible. I guess if it came down to myself or others I would have to be swayed or make a conscious decision to put others first, since I naturally put myself first.



As I move into my future careers, I think this will benefit me for competitive reasons. I may be able to obtain better positions or have my voice be heard over others, but that means that I may be seen as a little more distant or selfish since I'm not a readily willing to cooperate.



I feel like this style came about because growing up I never had many friends and I have always thought that I am intellectually superior to others, so my thoughts and solutions were almost always better than others. I would always heed my own advice first and I didn't have anyone aside from a couple family members that I really cared about and made special accommodations for.



I started thinking about times when my conflict style wouldn't work in some situations. Sometimes it benefits you even more to collaborate with people or to accommodate for others! Thinking about this and knowing that accommodation also describes me, I imagine that in some situations I would find myself helping others so I would be seen in a better light. I have done this in terms of doing extra chores around the house or working on more parts of a group project just so people can see that I am more capable, disciplined, responsible, etc.

Being aware of my predominant conflict styles moving forward will help me better control which style to use in each situation. Sometimes I should try to employ a certain style to find the right amount of benefitting myself and others so I'm not subconsciously working towards one extreme over the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Future Journey

Putting Conflict Styles into Practice

An Interesting Discussion