Conflict

 Conflict comes in many different forms but it always stems from the same thing. I would say that conflict always arises from a disagreement between two things. It could be a difference in opinion, values, or beliefs between two people or an internal struggle within yourself. If I were to have a conflict, it comes in one of those two forms, either I have a conflict with another individual or I struggle with an internal conflict. 


Growing up my family addressed conflict in a calm and rational manner and we had both parties explain their individual opinions and concerns so we could reach a point of understanding. It was never outright stated how to deal with conflict but we always went about it this way when we had sibling fights or arguments with our parents.


I personally don't mind conflict and I enjoy being exposed to conflict between others so I can analyze the situation for myself and hopefully learn something. I think there is a difference, however in healthy conflict and unhealthy conflict, because sometimes having conflict can go somewhere good, but other times it can become toxic and lead to even more conflict.


Usually when I encounter conflict I try to be calm, rational, and express myself in the most accurate way possible. I don't try to tell the other person (or myself) what they want to hear. I instead work with the reality of the situation and hope that together we can work through and conquer the conflict. It is still difficult for me to navigate conflict because even though the way I deal with it works for me it doesn't always work for other people.

Sometimes I try to let other people lead and see how they confront conflict and follow along to see how it works out. Other times I employ my method and hope that it works in the way I intend. I still don't know the best method and maybe in some circumstances and for some people one strategy works better than another, but I'm always willing to learn how to better navigate conflict.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Future Journey

Putting Conflict Styles into Practice

An Interesting Discussion